Tuesday, June 17, 2008

hate the police

While unwisely avoiding sleep via looking up music videos, I decided to look up "hate the police", a song made popular by the legendary 80s hardcore punk band The Dicks, but i was made aware of through Mudhoney's 1989 classic (and recently re-issued) Superfuzz Bigmuff.

Mudhoney played at the Middle East (a wonderful 2 minute walk from my house) recently and tore it up well. The show has been on repeat in my head for days. "Hate the Police" in particular is a great song about a racist prick becoming a cop and how i would hate that. Actually, the wikipedia article for The Dicks has a great summation: "In the song Gary Floyd portrays a policeman who abuses his power by going after minorities and taking his anger out on civilians." With the beginning lines of "Mommy mommy mommy! / Look at your son / You might have loved me / but now I got a gun / you better stay out of my way / i think i've had a bad day" and the refrain "if you don't find justice, it'll find you"... the song just hits me in the gut every time i hear it.

I'm not looking to get into any debate about myself and cops. This song isn't about the nice ones, its a story about the bad ones who infringe on the rights of people through bigotry, bullying, etc.

In any case, I'm on youtube looking for video of the Dicks or Mudhoney playing the song live. I find Mudhoney at what looks like the Glastonbury Festival and i see this and laugh:



and laugh.

1 comment:

Henry Robinson said...

vyfat 120 mg is used to help in weight reduction or to help lessen the danger of regaining weight previously lost. Orlistat is for use just in grown-ups. This works by hindering fat from being absorbed into the body after it is eaten during supper.